Can MonetDB be slowed down by a single query?

Vijay Krishna vijayakrishna55 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 08:30:49 CEST 2016

Hi,

As per MonetDB's architecture, the memory allocated to a single query
(thread) is left with the OS and is not controlled by the mserver.

If so, I am wondering how MonetDB would react to the following scenario.

I receive a client connection with a single costly query whose execution
would require all of the RAM's memory.

Now, when I receive a second connection that runs a similar costly
operation, will MonetDB start processing this second query by using the
available meagre memory (RAM leftovers or from disk swap) or will MonetDB
wait till the first query releases some of its memory?

Thanks & Regards,

Vijayakrishna.P.
Mobile : (+91) 9500402305.