type recognition, *creating* tables from CSVs

László Sándor sandorl at gmail.com
Wed May 14 21:06:29 CEST 2014

Hi,
I asked a question on DBA of StackExchange about MonetDB, but as there is
not even a monetdb tag in use, maybe it wasn't the right forum for it.
Please have a look over there, or I can repeat it below:
http://dba.stackexchange.com/q/65126/38399

I am confused whether you can copy records into a *new* table in MonetDB.

The official documentation seems[1] to talk only about copying into
existing tables. I have quite a large universe of billions of records in
dozens of tables, and I would much prefer a solution that inferred the type
from the CSV itself, and the column names from the first rows.

A StackOverflow answer[2] seems to work for SQL Server 2000 with
`OpenRowset`, though even they are not concerned about data-type
inferencing.

Another answer[3] here on DBA recommends `BCP` before calling `BULK INSERT`
in Server 2000, neither of which is discussed in the MonetDB documentation.

Other answers[4] also suggest that this is impossible in MySQL without
external scripts.

The background of my issues are that I realized that managing my raw data
(which came in text files from government agencies, with scarce
documentation) should be separate from the front-end of my analysis still
kept in Stata. This is similar to what has been achieved with MonetDB.R
(e.g. hannes.muehleisen.org/SSDBM2013-databases-and-statistics.pdf), though
probably limited to an odbc link (so missing some of the real benefits
coming from merging and calculations done in MonetDB). That said, this is
the only sign of a Stata and MonetDB link I could find:
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2012-08/msg01363.html

Disclaimer: I am an SQL and MonetDB newbie, but thanks for not letting me
miss the obvious.

  [1]: https://www.monetdb.org/Documentation/Manuals/SQLreference/CopyInto
  [2]: http://stackoverflow.com/a/10421034/938408
  [3]: http://dba.stackexchange.com/a/22763/38399