Deleting millions of rows every night

Dennis Pallett dennis at pallett.nl
Mon Jul 29 08:54:27 CEST 2013

Hello all,

We are going to be using MonetDB as a data mart between our data
warehouse and our front-end applications and are planning to insert and
delete several millions of rows from MonetDB every night as part of our
data update cycle. We've noticed that MonetDB doesn't support the
TRUNCATE statement so we're deleting all the data with DELETE FROM
table. But is this the best way to delete millions of rows every night?
Won't performance or free disk space degrade over time?

Best regards,
Dennis Pallett