remote.exec()

Fabian Groffen fabian at monetdb.org
Wed Jul 24 21:36:07 CEST 2013

On 24-07-2013 10:17:58 -0700, Stephen P. Morgan wrote:
> I have a question about remote.exec().  Suppose multiple (say N) remote
> machines call remote.exec() to start a function on a given local machine.
> What happens if N is greater than the number of threads supported by the
> local machine?  Are the remote.execs queued until there is a thread
> available to execute them, or are they simply not started?  If the letter,
> how can one tell whether a remote.exec was run?

Don't know exactly what you're doing, but you likely see connection
errors (no free client slots) if you try to connect with more
connections than can be served.

> I have another question abut remote.get() transferring a BAT from one
> machine to another.  Is there a limit on the size of a BAT that can be
> transferred by a single call to remote.get()?  If the BAT is very large, is
> it paged through disk, or is it alsways transferred directly from memory to
> memory?

remote.get() works as if you're doing bat.new() and bat.insert(), but
slightly more optimised, using a binary transport if possible.  The
limits here are defined by the system.

Fabian