XQuery support in MonetDB

Martin Kersten mk at monetdb.com
Sat Jul 20 16:14:47 CEST 2013

Hello

Thank you for your expressed interest and worry in MonetDB/XQuery.
quote http://www.monetdb.org/XQuery:
Due to lack of development and manpower to port the software to MonetDB
version 5, we had to freeze the code base.

In a nutshell this is precisely the reason. Within the core development
team there was
no interest to pursue research on XML database technology any further.
Research on XML in the database community is not in fashion either anymore.

Furthermore, the underlying kernel had evolved to a completely different
one, Mserver5, which
would require excessive porting effort not justified by the research
funds available.

Keeping both software distribution lines alive in the opensource also
hindered progress along the main trunk.
The group headed by T. Grust, heaviliy involved in MonetDB/XQuery, also
went another way.

Freezing the code base was the only option. Likely, it will collect dust
in the attic until
others may see use.

Greetings, Martin Kersten