International characters in MonetDB

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Mon Jul 15 16:22:42 CEST 2013

Hi SG,

since the Apr2011 release, MonetDB (based on the MonetDB5 back-end) is a
purely relational (SQL) DBMS.

Regarding XML, we do support some feature of the SQL/XML standard as
documented under
http://www.monetdb.org/Documentation/Manuals/SQLreference/XML

MonetDB/XQuery as "native" XML/XQuery DBMS (based on the MonetDB4 back-end
has been decprecated After the Mar2011 release; cf.
http://www.monetdb.org/XQuery
The final snapshot is available from http://www.monetdb.org/XQuery/Downloads

Best,
Stefan

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 06:54:31AM -0700, aaaaaa ggggggg wrote:
> Hi Sjoerd,
>
> Thanks for that information! worked like a charm. I just had to convert the ascii file to UTF8 encoding using :
> iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8 Filename.csv > Filename.utf8.csv
>

> Converting all files for bulk reading to utf8 seems to have speeded up the reading process a bit as well!
>
> I have a follow up question :
> My original Data is in XML format (I have the XSD file as well). I couldn't find a good/clear example of how to use MonetDB5 to read an XML file into the database, preserving the schema in the XML file.
> It would be very helpful if you could give some pointers.
>
> Best Regards
> SG

| Stefan.Manegold at CWI.nl | DB Architectures   (DA) |
|  www.CWI.nl/~manegold  | Science Park 123 (L321) |
|   +31 (0)20 592-4212   | 1098 XG Amsterdam  (NL) |