Giving monetdb a fair chance

Franck Routier franck.routier at axege.com
Thu Jul 11 10:47:14 CEST 2013

Hi,

I am benchmarking different DB alternatives for our BI application.
We are using Mondrian/JPivot on a dataset with ~300 millions row, and
several parent/child dimensions.

We are running some 50 real life scenario (ie 50 differents cubes using
parts of this dataset) and measuring user response time on a server with
several stripped Sata3 SSD, 32 GB ram and a i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (6 cores).

During the tests, Monetdb performed by far the worst of Postgresql,
VectorWise and (obvioulsy) MonetDB.
Things that take 10 seconds with Postgresql take 450 second with monetdb...
This was not expected at all, so looking at the server, I saw that
MonetDB was consuming all memory (why not), including swap : bad idea I
think. I was expecting MonetDB to memory mapped files when needed, real
memory, but not use swap as it it was real memory...
So here is my question : with a (quite) big dataset, 32GB ram, is there
anything I can do to help MonetDB behave according to expectancies ?

(maybe I should use ulimit ?).

Thanks for your input,

Franck