Failing to load a table

Franck Routier franck.routier at axege.com
Thu Jul 4 17:15:01 CEST 2013

Thanks Stefan for your time and input,
> NULL values are stored. For fixed width columns (e.g., all numbers), they take as much storage as any value of that type. For variable length types (e.g., strings, (both char & varchar)), they take 1 to 8 byte, depending on the number of distinct values in that column.
Ouch. That kind of defeats my plan to use the "columnar" version of my
table with MonetDB, as the trick with this huge table is that it is
mostly filled with nulls and finding the non-null lines for a column is
quick. At least it is with postgresql.
Ok, I've got to rethink my approach.

That said, would'nt avoiding to store nulls be an interesting evolution
of MonetDB ?

Best regards,
Franck