[MonetDB-users] MonetDB Temporary tables

ultanocarroll ultanocarroll at eircom.net
Mon Oct 17 22:55:09 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to create an adapter for Apache Jena[1] to MonetDB[2]. Part
of this process involves creating temporary tables in Monet. During the
Jena db setup process these tables are created with SQL statements.

For most RDBMS these take the form of CREATE GLOBAL TEMPORARY...
However, with MonetDB (Aug 11 release on Ubuntu 11.04) I have been
unable to use this statement form, or CREATE LOCAL, or CREATE TEMPORARY
TABLE. Monet always returns "insufficient privileges", a la :

    sql>create global temporary table t (col1 int);
    CREATE TABLE: insufficient privileges for user 'jena' in schema 'tmp'
    sql>create local temporary table t (col1 int);
    CREATE TABLE: insufficient privileges for user 'jena' in schema 'tmp'
    sql>create temporary table t (col1 int);
    CREATE TABLE: insufficient privileges for user 'jena' in schema 'tmp'

(Jena's table is a little more sophisticated but raises the same error ! :-)

I have created the user for this operation, an accompanying schema with
authorization and reset the users schema to this, as per Getting Started
[3].

The only operation I can seem to get to work in place of temporary
tables is to use CREATE TABLE. However, when I do this, Jena unit tests
fail when it tries to re-create, for a second group of tests, these temp
tables, with the exception

    java.sql.SQLException: CREATE TABLE: name 'nnodetriples' already in use

Jena then tries to drop the tables (using execSilent) and create anew,
but at this point gets another exception.

    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: current transaction is aborted
    (please ROLLBACK)

Any suggestions on this ?

   1. It seems to me the root of the problem is that the global temp
      tables cannot be created, or that the 'already in use' exception
      is escalating to a transaction abort, incorrectly.
   2. Do I need (can I) grant the user privileges to the tmp schema ?

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/jena/
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JENA-134
[3] http://www.monetdb.org/Downloads/Tutorial