[MonetDB-users] Several newbie questions: Performance and plans

Niels Nes Niels.Nes at cwi.nl
Tue Sep 23 10:04:47 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 03:50:42PM +1000, Mark V wrote:
>    Hi,
>    I am more of an end user, new to column store DB's in general
>    and MonetDB in particular.
>    I'm thinking of using MonetDB in a context where CRUD would be
>    done using SQL statements (as much as possible).
>    I have some questions that I'd appreciate some feedback on:
>    It seems that in column stores single insert/update/delete are
>    much slower than reads.
>    In LucidDB this can be in the order of seconds.
>    Q1) In MonetDB are single insert/update/delete in the order of
>    seconds?  Comparable to LucidDB?
No inserts don't cost seconds.
>    Q2) If so, when might this change/improve and by how much?
>    On comparative performance.
>    I've seen the Goggle tech talk (2008/01) on MonetDB/X100
>    indicating some incredible performance:
>    Q3) When might those improvements be incorporated into the
>    stable/released MonetDB?
>    Q4) How does MonetDB compare to Kdb and Vertica?
Its hard to compare systems if you cannot get your hands on them.
>    Finally, I'm toying with writing a MonetSQL adapter for Ruby's
>    Sequel ORM, hence the reliance on SQL statements.  I have seen
>    the MonetDB ActiveRecord library, which uses SWIG to make the
>    Ruby MonetDB-mapi library.
Great that you use the Ruby api.
>    Q5) Will MonetDB be implementing something like MySQL's
>    Information_Schema?
Currently not, but it should be hard to add (just a couple of view
would do). But for now just use
select * from tables. And go from there.
>    Q6) What is the relative performance of the JDBC and SWIG-MAPI
>    interfaces?
Well any wrapper/language will add a bit of overhead afcourse but
nothing to worry about.

Niels