[MonetDB-users] [ADT] bug report?

Fabian Groffen Fabian.Groffen at cwi.nl
Mon Sep 1 21:57:13 CEST 2008

Just from the side...

> On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 09:27:37PM +0200, Hendrike Peetz wrote:
> > Dear people in charge,
> >
> > I have been spending a lot of time today trying to install Monet on
> > Leopard 10.5.4, 64 bit, core 2 duo.
> >
> > Before I did anything with the cvs, I tried to work with the Super
> > tarball version. Compiling was not a problem but the tests were not
> > installed and I was not too sure wether everything is working. I thus
> > wanted to install it properly:

How did you try to "test"?  What was the error you got which made you
conclude that the tests weren't included?

> > I checked out the latest version (friday I assume) from the cvs.
> > bootstrap and configure worked fine, but I had problems with the
> > compiling.
> >
> > I tried gcc4.1 (apple) and gcc4.2 (apple) (Yes, I recompiled my c-
> > compiler!). Both of them returned the attached error.

Apple never released any 4.1 compiler (only 4.0.1 and very recently
4.2.1 from Xcode Tools 3.1 -- a few revisions later than the beta
versions)

> > I am not sure wether this is my mistake or some weird code, but as I was
> > able to compile the tarball version I assume its something in the code.

> > cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> > ../../../MonetDB/src/gdk/gdk_system.mx: In function 'MT_check_nr_cores':
> > ../../../MonetDB/src/gdk/gdk_system.mx:575: warning: ISO C90 forbids mixed declarations and code
> > ../../../MonetDB/src/gdk/gdk_system.mx:576: error: implicit declaration of function 'sysctlbyname'

No.  The MonetDB sources aren't tested on Leopard on a daily basis, and
this change/code in particular isn't at all.  I tried it on Tiger, but
didn't care to check on Leopard.