[MonetDB-users] JDBC insert performance

chinarinde edgebatch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 18:43:59 CEST 2007

Hi all,

I am new to monetDB and ran into the following problem (I'll try to be as
verbose as I can, perhaps it helps helping me):

I've installed MonetDB server 5.0.0, clients and commons 1.18.2 and sql
2.18.2 on Ubuntu Feisty. Then I've taken the JDBC example which is available
online and modified it to be able to insert data into a test database. More
specifically I'm using prepared statements and executeBatch() together with
the monetdb-1.6 JDBC driver.

Which is quite successful until about 5 million records are inserted -
afterwards the speed of the inserts drops dramatically.
I've experimented with different batch sizes (10000 records seems to work
ok), and I've tried to understand the chapter about memory tuning for
MonetDB (not sure yet about how to use mem_cursize() though).
In any case at first inserting 2 million records only takes about 5 minutes
(measured with Javas System.timemillis), later on this time increases and
the server gets rather unresponsive.

I found only two posts concerning the speed of JDBC inserts (from January
2007 I think) and I would be interested if a solution or explanation has
been found off-list.

Thank you