[MonetDB-users] (no subject)

Fabian Groffen Fabian.Groffen at cwi.nl
Wed Oct 3 23:08:58 CEST 2007

Hi Matt,

On 03-10-2007 09:14:46 +1300, Matt Magoffin wrote:
> I'd like to implement a MonetDB version of this API now, but I am having
> some difficulty finding out how to effectively access MonetDB through
> Java. So far I was able to use the MonetDB JDBC driver to construct XQuery
> statements and get XML results, and also I was able to construct MonetDB
> pf:add-doc() statements to add documents, but I am wondering if this is
> the best approach (and if so, how to add documents to a remote MonetDB
> server using the pf:add-doc() mechanism).

The only possibility to add a document "over the wire" is by a hack in
JDBC that is really very limited.  The name of the document that you
will store is autogenerated and returned in a warning on the Connection.
Unfortunately there is no better support in MonetDB/XQuery to add
documents.

> The API I am trying to implement you can view here, to give you an idea
> what I'm trying to do:
>
> http://xaj.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/xaj/xaj/src/net/sf/xaj/XmlDb.java?revision=2&view=markup
>
> It was somewhat modeled after the defunct XML:DB API, but focused just on
> add/store/XQuery operations. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated!

I'm affraid we can't do any batching at the moment, neither can you
rename documents such that you can assign an ID to them, as far as I
know.