[MonetDB-users] Benchmark on MonetDB/X100

Martin Kersten Martin.Kersten at cwi.nl
Wed Dec 26 15:13:56 CET 2007

Konstantinos Krikellas wrote:
Dear Konstantinos,

thank you for your interest in the MonetDB product family.
> I want to use MonetDB for benchmarking on the TPC-H workload.
> According to the paper "MonetDB/X100 - A DBMS In The CPU Cache", the
> X100 module achieves significant acceleration against MonetDB/MIL on
> Query 1 of TPC-H. Still, when I search your site, there is no
> reference about how it is possible to activate X100 inside MonetDB. I
> have only found X100 in your repository for mserver5 in Sourceforge,
> but it is not currently active. Therefore, I have the following questions:
That code is not used at all, and was not the X100code itself, but a
mimick of the code to
see the differences and overhead of MAL interpretation
> a) Has X100 been integrated to the Mserver5  version of MonetDB, or
> included as an extension module?
No, the X100 engine is a separately developed track, which is only used
for research purposes only.
The X100 developers so far have not been tempted to integrated the
engine as a back-end for
the M5 software stack. The code base is far from being deployed
out-of-the-box by others.
> b) Does Mserver5 use vector processing as proposed in the paper
> "MonetDB/X100: Hyper-Pipelining Query Execution" (CIDR 2005) ?
M5 shares the kernel with the M4 line, but has been significantly improved
in terms of language interpretation overhead and overall performance
due to much better optimization infrastructure.

The code for the Database Cracking is visible in the code being distributed,
but has not been turned on, pending further integration and quality
assurance.
> c) How is it possible to use MonetDB/X100 for benchmarking purposes?
> Are there any instructions online?
For this you have to contact Peter Boncz, the code owner.
regards, Martin Kersten