[MonetDB-users] Info reg Column Oriented DB

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Thu Dec 13 01:44:39 CET 2007

Dear Sateesh,

thank you very much for your interest in MonetDB.

The distinction between "Column-store" and "Row-store" database systems
refers to the physical storage of data, not to the logical data model.
Physically ("under the hood"), MonetDB uses only two-column tables ("BATs")
and hence is in nowadays term referred to as "Column-store".
Logically, MonetDB offers next to is BAT data model also standard
relational data model (SQL), i.e., "arbitrarily" wide tables, as well as XML
and XQuery.
The VOC example on the web site is in fact given using both the relational
(SQL) data model (http://monetdb.cwi.nl/SQL/QuickTour/VOC/) and the XML data
model (http://monetdb.cwi.nl/XQuery/QuickTour/VOC/).

For more information on how different "logical" data models are mapped to
the physical column-store like tow-column data model, please see the MonetDB
web site and related articles, in particular
http://monetdb.cwi.nl/Assets/monetdb_lecture.pdf
http://www.cwi.nl/htbin/ins1/publications?request=abstract&key=BoKe:BIWIT:95
http://www.cwi.nl/htbin/ins1/publications?request=abstract&key=Bo:DISS:02
http://www.cwi.nl/htbin/ins1/publications?request=abstract&key=BoGrKeMaRiTe:SIGMOD:06

Please feel free to contact us again, in case you have more questions.

Kind regards,

Stefan