[MonetDB-users] update query performance

Lange Marcus marcus.lange at saabgroup.com
Wed Dec 5 10:46:25 CET 2007

Hello,

I have a question. I have a table with the columns ( id, name (string),
num(int) ). In this table I have lets say 100 rows of data.
In a Java app. I am updating the different rows individually with the
sql command:
 "UPDATE "tableName" SET "num" = ('99') WHERE "id" = (5);"

The time to run this single query is between 15 to 32 milliseconds,
except every once in a while when it can be as much as 110 milliseconds.

Since I want to do this several times each second for all rows this is
way to long time. Am I doing something wrong, or am I using Monet in a
way that it is not meant to be used or what ? Is there another way to
solve this (Updating individual cells/variables in individual rows FAST)
?

Thanks for any input!
Regards,
Marcus