[MonetDB-users] Optimal hardware/software configuration?

Niels Nes Niels.Nes at cwi.nl
Tue Dec 4 16:32:22 CET 2007

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 05:53:42PM -0500, Venks wrote:

>    Based on my limited experience, 64 bit and lots of RAM will help
>    MonetDB a lot.
>
>    On Dec 3, 2007 5:43 PM, m h <[1]sesquile at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>      Say one wanted to do some benchmarks for Monetdb.   Here would be
>      few questions:
>       * Does Raid 0+1 help more than RAM?
It all depends on the application and database 'hot' size (ie the
size of the columns needed for you queries).
If by adding memory they could (together) fit in memory then RAM is
best.
If that isn't possible (ie your disk bound), then adding raid 0
could improve your performance. (most db's easily fit in memory these
days).
>       * What about multi cores?  Are they currently useful?
multi cores are currently only usefull for concurrent query processing.
>       * Are big processor caches useful?
Yes. Memory is way too slow too keep up with cpu performance.
>       * What about 64 bit linux?  Does that help or hurt?
64 bit gives you a much bigger address space which is good (allows
for bigger columns and thus db's). It does hurt performance only be
cause it uses bigger pointers and oids (the later can be fixed
by using the --enable-oid32 configure option but reduces again the
max number of oids to max 31-bit int value).
>      Or here's another way to put it.  If you had between $2-$5K to
>      spend
>      what hardware would you buy?
>      A bunch of PS3's ;)
A PS3 doesn't have memory (256MB only), it doesn't have a way to
add disks. So for MonetDB in its current version its not okay (we use
the PS3 for research though!).

For monetdb you should go for the simple huge ram option.

Niels