[MonetDB-users] Changing default monetdb password

Romulo Goncalves R.A.Goncalves at cwi.nl
Tue Dec 4 14:20:47 CET 2007

Romulo Goncalves wrote:
> Venks wrote:
>> Please provide some tool/program that I can execute to change the
>> default password. We are planning to load confidential data on a hosted
>> server and can't afford to keep the default password.
> The process to change a password for any user in MonetDB is not worky
> properly (a bug will follow this email, in the bug tracker list) and it
> will be fixed as soon as possible. We will also try to provide a way to
> change the admin password.
To change the admin password just do like this:
- start mserver5 without the the sql module
- in mserver5 prompt execute the command:
changePassword("monetdb","newpasword");
The command syntax is:
changePassword(<old_password>,<new_password>);

It will change the old password by the new one for the actual user who
by default is monetdb (the admin user) ;)

Restart your mserver5 (now you can load the sql module) and then connect
a client.

Note: By default the mclient will use as login
user = monetdb and password= monetdb.

After your change you will need to give the new login information:
mclient -lsql -u monetdb
password: new_password
sql>

Regards,