[MonetDB-users] Changing default monetdb password

Fabian Groffen Fabian.Groffen at cwi.nl
Tue Dec 4 09:19:51 CET 2007

On 03-12-2007 16:34:40 -0500, Venks wrote:
>    How can I change the default MonetDB password? ALTER USER on
>    "monetdb" gives me the following error:
>
>    !InvalidCredentialsException:setPassword:The administrator cannot
>    set its own password, use changePassword instead

This is an interesting one.  In order to change your password using
changePassword, one needs to have the old password.  The kernel doesn't
allow root to unconditionally change the administrator password (what it
does for other users when the administrator uses setPassword).

You can change the administrator/monetdb password using changePassword
in the MAL interface.  Maybe we should make a little tool/howto for
this.  I cannot find the wrapper function that used to be there to call
for these functions from MAL.