[MonetDB-users] MonetDB as a transaction processing XML database?

Jens Teubner jens.teubner at in.tum.de
Thu Jul 6 10:43:12 CEST 2006

Hi Sander,

thanks for your interest in MonetDB/XQuery.  Such feedback will help us
better suit the needs of our user base.

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 10:19:26AM +0200, Sander Kruseman wrote:

> Is my conclusion correct that I should not use MonetDB (yet) as a
> transaction processing XML database? (inserts and deletes of lots of
> XML snippets, xqueries on the complete database content, by multiple
> processes)

the MonetDB/XQuery version that has officially been released recently
does not yet cover any update functionality.  Such functionality is
currently under development and partially available in the Pathfinder
development branch (beware, though: this code is quite fragile, still,
and not yet ready for productive use).

Once this code is released, I cannot yet estimate how suitable
MonetDB/XQuery will be for transaction processing with high update rates
and small XML documents.  In a second effort, we are currently
implementing some changes that will considerably improve query
performance if you have lots of small XML documents.  Still, the system
may not be the ideal choice for high update rates.

Regards,

Jens

--
Jens Teubner
Technische Universitaet Muenchen, Department of Informatics

The purpose of most computer languages is to
lengthen your resume by a word and a comma.
                         -- Larry Wall