ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN SET STORAGE

Daniel Zvinca daniel.zvinca at logbis.com
Sat Sep 14 13:26:20 CEST 2019

Hi Aris,

“Using available CPU cycles between memory fetching tasks for algebraic
operations” sounds to me like exploring alternative, block-based,
out-of-core algorithms (new optimizations?). Truth is, a bunch of online
(aggregation) algorithms can be applied on “running” buffers, so to speak,
insuring parallelism, vectorization, proper cpu cache utilization and RAM
preserving. (or, at least, I’d like to think it is possible, ☺).

While writing this reply, it occurred to me that a slightly different dual
storage solution might also become handy at times. One that would attach to
the original storage a bunch of fixed block size statistical information
that can be used to massively accelerate some aggregations. I think some
folks are calling this pre-aggregated layer.

(thinking out loud, of course)

Dan