Compiler optimizations and MonetDB performance

aris aris.koning at monetdbsolutions.com
Thu Mar 28 14:25:45 CET 2019

Hi all,

One of our customers has pointed out that GCC 7+ has a reasonable large
number of additions to their optimization algorithms and this customer
was wondering if the MonetDB R&D community is aware of these compiler
improvements and what their combined effect is on the performance of
MonetDB. This customer seems to be contemplating to adopt the build
process of MonetDB into their own build & deployment pipelines. So they
are interested in the most optimal build signature for MonetDB on their
Centos environment.

Somebody already pointed out that given the kernel architecture of
MonetDB, there is a chance that for instance, (new) inner loop
optimizations can be useful for MonetDB since we put quite some effort
into deciding which specialized algorithm to use for a particular
relational algebraic operation before we dispatch the workload to the
designated tight and specialized inner loop that does the actual work.

Is anybody aware of existing evaluations/benchmarks related to different
compiler, compiler settings and architectures/instruction set
extensions? Or is it planned? Or should it be planned :)

Kind regards,

Aris