Interaction of operators in the kernel.

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Wed Jul 8 13:18:21 CEST 2015

Hi Wenjian,

you might want to consider studying the logical (relational) and
physical (MAL) plans, or debug your SQL queries; for details see
https://www.monetdb.org/Documentation/Manuals/SQLreference/Runtime

You might also want to consider using the MAL debugger directly; cf.,
https://www.monetdb.org/Documentation/Manuals/MonetDB/debugger

Also, a combination of mserver5's --trace and --gdk_debug=2097152 ("ALGOMASK")
might be useful.

Best,
Stefan

----- On Jul 8, 2015, at 11:42 AM, Xu,Wenjian zeroxwj at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My objective is to investigate that, given an SPJ query, how are BATs
> *physically* processed (changed) among relational algebra operators (e.g.,
> select, join). I do not care about how query is translated into execution plan
> in MAL, what I care is the interaction of operators in the kernel (aka., gdk) .
>
> My current plan is to add some debug information in those operators (e.g.,
> functions in src/gdk_join.c, src/gdk_select.c) and re-compile the system. Then,
> I will pose an SPJ query (through console) and check the system log to see how
> those operators are invoked in sequence.
>
> But this method seems inefficient and I would like to ask if there are any
> alternatives, for example, is it possible to debug the system *step-by-step*
> given an input query (or its logical query plan).
>
> Thank you very much for any kind help.
>
> Best regards,
> Wenjian

| Stefan.Manegold at CWI.nl | DB Architectures   (DA) |
| www.CWI.nl/~manegold/  | Science Park 123 (L321) |
| +31 (0)20 592-4212     | 1098 XG Amsterdam  (NL) |