Questions About Generated MAL Code

Stephen P. Morgan stephen_p_morgan at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 14 00:30:24 CET 2013

Hi,

My colleagues and I from Huawei have been experimenting with the MAL code
generated by SQL explain.  We noticed big differences between the code generated
by version 15 and the present top-of-tree.  For example, where the level-15 code
tended to generate just one barrier-exit block for a simple "select *," the new
code generates several.  (That might have to do with views--that's my guess,
anyway.)

Unfortunately, whereas the "old" (level 15) code is manually executable by the
MAL interpreter, the new code doesn't run directly.  For example, the
interpreter complains about uninitialized variables.  Of course, this is
straightforward to fix manually, though somewhat tedious.  But we also find when
running multiple-barrier code, we get many complaints about undefined things,
e.g., sql.mvc(), sql.bind(), among others.  We don't (yet?) know how to overcome
this issue.  Is this just a temporary situation, or will it be possible at some
point again to manually run MAL code?  (Is it a policy of the MonetDB project
that explained MAL code should be manually executable?)

Would it be possible to explain (briefly) the reasons for the differences
between the two versions of generated MAL code?  We're  curious what would
prompt such a big change in the generated code.

Thank you,

Steve Morgan

P.S. I've created a version of the mapi.connect() and mapi.reconnect() code that
accepts a database name as another parameter.  We've used it to send RPCs
between systems (Linux containers, actually).  We would be happy to donate this
code to your organization, if you would like it.  I added a new MAL routine for
mapi.connect(), i.e., SERVERconnectWithDBname() and similar things for the
mapi.reconnect() calls that detects the extra parameter and uses it if it's
there.  It shouldn't break any existing code, and it allows one to run RPCs
while using monetdbd (not just mserver5).