sabdb protocol V2

Fabian Groffen fabian at monetdb.org
Fri Mar 8 16:49:10 CET 2013

Hi Gijs,

On 08-03-2013 16:39:05 +0100, Gijs Molenaar wrote:
> Hi MonetDB people,
>
> I've noticed that there has been a new version (2) of the sabdb protocol
> introduced. The sabdb protocol is used to send administrative command to
> a monetdb server.
>
> This breaks the Python API, which I just fixed, I'll commit it later.
>
> But I've noticed some strange behavior, it looks like monetdb closes the
> connection in some cases, not all. Specifically when I issue a status
> command the connection is closed, but in other cases it is not.
>
> I've fixed it now by reconnecting before every command, but I just
> wanted to verify if that is the right way to go.

Can you be a bit more specific?  In general you should reconnect for
each new command, although you technically should be able to send a
bunch of starts/stops over a single connection.  This hasn't changed.

sabdb indeed is the format to serialise all state information about a
database.  See the comments in the C-sources on what changed (as well as
commit message), and what you should change as well.

I didn't know the python api had support for it too, or I'd looked at it
at the time it was introduced.  Sorry.

Fabian

Fabian Groffen                              fabian at monetdb.org
column-store pioneer               http://www.monetdb.org/Home