Bls: Solution: jdbcclient.jar is always prompting even there is password list in .monetdb

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Thu Jan 10 20:54:56 CET 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 01:40:45AM +0800, sigit kartiko wrote:

> But Fabian, in java you cannot compare strings with == or != , it must be .equals() method.
> In line 145: MonetDB-11.13.7/java/src/nl/cwi/monetdb/client/JdbcClient.java
>  --> user != copts.getOption("user").getArgument()
>
> ---------^ this is not ok.
>

> I have no idea to dump a table (not database) with mclient in my MonetDB-11.13.7. That's why i use

from `man mclient` and/or http://www.monetdb.org/Documentation/mclient-man-page:
"
       --interactive[=timermode] (-i[timermode])
              When reading from standard input, interpret lines starting with \ (backslash) specially.  See the section BACKSLASH COMMANDS below.  This is the default if standard input is a terminal.  The optional timermode argument controls the format of the time reported for queries.   Note  that  no
              space is allowed between -i and timermode.  The default mode is human which adjusts the time precision to the measured value.  The modes ms, s and m force millisecond, second and minute + second precision respectively.
"
and
"
       \D table
              Dump the given table.
"

or from `mclient --help`:
"
 -i          | --interactive[=tm] interpret \ commands on stdin, use time formatting {ms,s,m}
"
and from `echo '\?' | mclient -i`:
"
\D table- dumps the table, or the complete database if none given.
"

> this jdbcclient.jar.
>
> Btw, thanks to monetdb, this db rocks..!!!
>

> ________________________________
>  Dari: Fabian Groffen <fabian at monetdb.org>
> Kepada: developers-list at monetdb.org
> Dikirim: Kamis, 10 Januari 2013 15:51
> Judul: Re: Solution: jdbcclient.jar is always prompting even there is password list in .monetdb
>

> No, this would change the behaviour and crash.  user can be null here,
> when there was no .monetdb file, or user wasn't set in it using:
>   user=youruser
>
> The intended behaviour is that when you specify the user on the command
> line (-u), you always wipe the password previously read, regardless
> whether this given user is the same as given in the .monetdb file.
>
> Hence my suspicion is that you supply -u to JdbcClient upon invocation.
> Simply dropping that should do.
>
> On side note: we strongly advice you to use mclient for dumping instead
> of JdbcClient.  The latter has long been deprecated in favour of the
> first.  mclient's dumping preserves the data better.  JdbcClient is not
> supported, as it's simply a JDBC debugging aid.
>

> --
> Fabian Groffen                              fabian at monetdb.org
> column-store pioneer              http://www.monetdb.org/Home

| Stefan.Manegold @ CWI.nl | DB Architectures (INS1) |
| http://CWI.nl/~manegold/ | Science Park 123 (L321) |
| Tel.: +31 (0)20 592-4212 | 1098 XG Amsterdam  (NL) |