[Monetdb-developers] some questions

Martin Kersten Martin.Kersten at cwi.nl
Wed Sep 12 02:04:31 CEST 2012

Hi

There is no such thing as a free lunch, certainly not for a 1M lines
of code base :)

On 9/12/12 12:27 AM, guangliang peng wrote:
> hi,
>     i  am  a  new  learner of  monetdb.And i  have  some questions below.
>
> 1    when  I  ran some queries on monetdb,I  found that the memory was
> automatically released by monetdb.And it needs extra time to load data into
> memory again.I don't know why and if there are some triggers in monetdb?
> Thank you for helps.

Understand how memory mapped files
work on an operating system tells most of the story.

> 2   how do i see the join path  when i run a  query?
Use the Plan/explain/Trace/debug or stethoscope features of the system
to look for the {left,semi}join[Path] calls and the 'dot' file generated from the plans.

> 3  what's source code structure? i want to read the source code .And  any advices for better understanding  source code.

Read the MonetDB papers and PhD thesises.

regards, Martin