ANSI SQL 2003 Extension OVER() appears to be missing in MonetDB Click to flag this post

Niels Nes Niels.Nes at cwi.nl
Thu Oct 18 22:10:06 CEST 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 04:25:46PM +0000, James Becker III wrote:
> Hi Niels,
>
> Thanks for the fast reply.
>
> The reason I thought that it wasn't supported is that I didn't find over
> in sys.functions.
>
> sql>select name from sys.functions where name like 'o%';
> +-----------------+
> | name            |
> +=================+
> | or              |
> | octet_length    |
> | octet_length    |
> | octet_length    |
> | optimizer_stats |
> | optimizers      |
> +-----------------+
>

> Is this the wrong place to look for this type of function?

Well OVER isn't implemented as function more as a language feature. So
no you won't find the 'over' functions in the functions table.

> Before I inundate you fine people with my need to understand, is there any
> documentation for Monet's OVER implementation? This would save me from
> prematurely posting potentially naïve questions like this to this list.
>

> Here is a sample of the code in vertica that needs to be ported. There are
> more complex examples, but for the spike, I simply need a fair sample
> query set to take Monet into a full POC phase of testing.
>
> SELECT
> col1
> ,col2
> , FIRST_VALUE(school_name) over (partition by school_loc_code order by
> academic_year_code::integer desc)
>                                     as school_name
> ,blahŠ
>
> -- large array of nested subqueries
> -- then the dense_rank()over(
> , dense_rank()over(
>             order by account_code
>                    , school_group_inst_code
>                    , school_loc_code
>                    , grade_code
>                    , subject_code
>                    , course_code
>                    , staff_sid
>                    , section_sid
>                    , student_sid
>                    , attribute_category_code
>                    , attribute_value_code) entity_num
>

> I have attached the entire query in it's unmodified vertica form for
> deeper analysis, if you are willing to give it a gander. It's kind of
> hairy, but the OVER() bits are rather discreet.

The FIRST_VALUE isn't implemented, but shouldn't be all that difficult
to add. The dense rank is and should be directly usable.

Currently indeed the OVER isn't fully described in the documenation.

Niels

room L3.14,  phone ++31 20 592-4098 	sip:4098 at sip.cwi.nl
url: http://www.cwi.nl/~niels   e-mail: Niels.Nes at cwi.nl