ANSI SQL 2003 Extension OVER() appears to be missing in MonetDB Click to flag this post

James Becker III jbecker at wgen.net
Thu Oct 18 18:25:46 CEST 2012

Hi Niels,

Thanks for the fast reply.

The reason I thought that it wasn't supported is that I didn't find over
in sys.functions.

sql>select name from sys.functions where name like 'o%';
+-----------------+
| name            |
+=================+
| or              |
| octet_length    |
| octet_length    |
| octet_length    |
| optimizer_stats |
| optimizers      |
+-----------------+

Is this the wrong place to look for this type of function?

Before I inundate you fine people with my need to understand, is there any
documentation for Monet's OVER implementation? This would save me from
prematurely posting potentially naïve questions like this to this list.

Here is a sample of the code in vertica that needs to be ported. There are
more complex examples, but for the spike, I simply need a fair sample
query set to take Monet into a full POC phase of testing.

SELECT
col1
,col2
, FIRST_VALUE(school_name) over (partition by school_loc_code order by
academic_year_code::integer desc)
                                    as school_name
,blahŠ

-- large array of nested subqueries
-- then the dense_rank()over(
, dense_rank()over(
            order by account_code
                   , school_group_inst_code
                   , school_loc_code
                   , grade_code
                   , subject_code
                   , course_code
                   , staff_sid
                   , section_sid
                   , student_sid
                   , attribute_category_code
                   , attribute_value_code) entity_num

I have attached the entire query in it's unmodified vertica form for
deeper analysis, if you are willing to give it a gander. It's kind of
hairy, but the OVER() bits are rather discreet.

Thanks again.

~jj