[Monetdb-developers] php_monetdb.dll

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Tue Jul 17 17:16:37 CEST 2012

On 2012-07-17 16:03, suchitradaemon wrote:
> Hi Stefan
>
> I am sorry, but I did not mean to say that the latest version was
> incorrect. I meant that it was not the right source to build from, on
> windows. If there is any other place I could hunt for the answer please
> do let me know.
>
> Thank you
> Suchitra
>
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Stefan Manegold <Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
> <mailto:Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl>> wrote:
>
>     Suchitra,
>
>     I know nothing about PHP, so I cannot answer that part of your question.
>
>     However, I'd like to point out that the latest released source
>     tarball (cf.,
>     http://dev.monetdb.org/downloads/sources/Latest/) is everything but an
>     "incorrect version".  Rather, it's the recommended version for users
>     that
>     need/want to build MonetDB from source on any Unix-like platform.
>     However, building MonetDB from source on Windows is (currently?) only
>     supported with the HG sources.
>     In fact, we strongly recommend to use binary installers on Windows (cf.,
>     http://dev.monetdb.org/downloads/Windows/Latest/), unless you really
>     need to
>     build from source (and hence are familiar with this).
>     If you use the HG sources, we strongly recommend to checkout the latest
>     release tag (currently "Jul2012_release"), or at least the head of the
>     latest release branch (currently "Jul2012").

Why do you want to build on Windows?  Why don't you use the Windows
installer?

Since our PHP connection does not need to be built, you don't need to
build the rest of MonetDB in order to use it.

Note that the PHP implementation needs socket support built into the PHP
interpreter, and I believe that the PHP installer you can download from
php.net doesn't provide that.