readline and the Mac build

Masood Mortazavi masoodmortazavi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 08:59:48 CET 2012

First, thank you for all your help.

(Thanks Fabian, Babis and Stefan.)

I finally had a chance to figure this out -- with the Macports distribution
of readline, and now have a Mac package with proper readline integration.

What worked with this distribution was to run configure with these options:

      --with-readline=/opt/local CFLAGS=-DLIBICONV_PLUG

/opt/local is where I have my macports libraries, including readline.

However, in macports' distribution of iconv, if LIBICONV_PLUG, is not
defined, some function names are redefined.

I guess macports authors did this in order to avoid some potential
collisions with the "readline" library that comes with Mac OS-X (or xcode).

The "-DLIBICONV_PLUG" compiler option disables the redefinition of function
names in macports' iconv.

Regards,
Masood