[Monetdb-developers] MacPorts Portfiles

Rémy Chibois rchibois at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 14:25:28 CEST 2011

Hi Fabian,

On Sep 20, 2011, at 1:29 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote:

> Hi Rémy,
>
> On 16-09-2011 11:53:53 +0200, Rémy Chibois wrote:
>> You'll find attached an archive containing two portfiles for compiling and installing MonetDB using the MacPorts system.
>>
>> Can you please have a look at it ?
>
> I'm not a MacPorts user, but look at the Portfile thingies every once in
> a while.
>
> At first, I like them.  I think they are reasonable, for a complex
> package like MonetDB.
>
> Aren't the version numbers missing from the package names?

There's a "version" just under the Portfile "name", currently "11.5.1"
(Portfile has been updated since my first post ;) ).

Would you prefer a different naming/versioning scheme ?

> Why is there no livecheck in the monetdb5 Portfile?

It has been added since.

> The monetdb5-server package just adds an auto-startup entry, right?  It
> doesn't install anything.  Is this regular practice for MacPorts?

I started up with another database's Portfile as an example and collected what I thought to be best practices from a representative set of ports.

From what I've seen (and used to on OSX), daemons and background processes, even if compiled in the main package, are not automatically installed/started unless explicitly requested.

When I started the Portfile, it made sense to install MonetDB without starting the server, to be able to use client libraries (Perl, Python, …) or connect to a remote server using "mclient".
This is the reason why I choose to follow other's database package behavior.

Again, please tell me if you would like this to be changed in any way.

>> If this is of interest for someone, do you want me to submit this port
>> to the MacPorts Project ?
>
> At this time, we don't have the resources to maintain this, but we
> encourage getting these into MacPorts proper.  We would appreciate if
> you would take maintainership for this, and update the Portfiles as
> necessary for newer releases.

I'd be glad to submit it and maintain it.

Any remarks (naming, versioning, description, whatever…) before I proceed ?

--
    Rémy Chibois