[Monetdb-developers] Information request

luca paganotti luca.paganotti at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 22:12:09 CET 2011

Hi lefteris, (is this your name?)

some comments below.

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Lefteris <lsidir at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Luca,
>
> monetdb is for sure the right choice for such application that you are
> describing.

Good to know.

> Monetdb is a database system, composed of many software layers that
> optimize the execution of a task in mane levels. As such, you should use
> monetdb as a database system and not as a library that provides a data
> structure. what I am trying to advocate is that you don't need to bind in
> the c code! Your task is not to implement new features or extent monetdb,
> but to use its features to perform a task.

You're probably right, programmers (like me) tend to concentrate only on
source code ... ;-)
Anyway, to have the example on monetdb web site correctly built and run
took me about 20 minutes on my mobile fedora 16.

> What you need is to first use the mclient interface with the sql support
> to perform some preliminary tests for your application, and then hook your
> applications to monetdb by opening a connection and issuing sql statements
> to load and manipulate your data. A very important added bonus for your
> application is that we are currently also developing sciql, an extension to
> the sql language to support scientific query demands!

I took a look at SciQL web site yesterday as suggested by Martin Kersten.
Have to read SciQL.pdf I've downloaded. So does monetdb implement SciQl or
it will do in the future as you're currently developing? I view also SciDb
web site, are SciQL and SciDB related in some way?

> In short, my advice is to use monetdb as a database system and not as some
> c library for a "nosql" kind of infrastructure:)

Was not my intention to use a a dbms as a c library. My interest in the C
API is only from an application perspective. I can make you a couple
examples: 1) let's say I want to write a unix daemon that searches the web
for METAR files. Whenever it finds a new file the daemon parses it and then
stores structured info in a dbms. It's very likely that this daemon will be
written in C, or at least I would make it this way. The C API can make me
connect to a db and then to use any kind of SQL statement as I need it.
2) If I would write the bindings for a language not currently supported by
monetdb like eiffel the best way is to have a C API.

Best regards.