[Monetdb-developers] Information request

Lefteris lsidir at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 09:54:43 CET 2011

Hi Luca,

monetdb is for sure the right choice for such application that you are
describing. Monetdb is a database system, composed of many software layers
that optimize the execution of a task in mane levels. As such, you should
use monetdb as a database system and not as a library that provides a data
structure. what I am trying to advocate is that you don't need to bind in
the c code! Your task is not to implement new features or extent monetdb,
but to use its features to perform a task.

What you need is to first use the mclient interface with the sql support to
perform some preliminary tests for your application, and then hook your
applications to monetdb by opening a connection and issuing sql statements
to load and manipulate your data. A very important added bonus for your
application is that we are currently also developing sciql, an extension to
the sql language to support scientific query demands!

In short, my advice is to use monetdb as a database system and not as some
c library for a "nosql" kind of infrastructure:)

lefteris

ps. your application is very interesting for our research too, maybe we can
have a more extensive offline discussion about the solutions that are
available.