[Monetdb-developers] monetdbd takes too long to start

Charalampos Nikolaou charnik at di.uoa.gr
Mon Dec 12 17:41:11 CET 2011

Hi,

I found the culprit which was avahi-daemon... By disabling
avahi-daemon, gethostbyaddr() (and similarly getnameinfo()) returns
instantaneously. I wonder whether avahi-daemon is enabled by default
in distributions like Debian and Fedora. From this page
(http://avahi.org/wiki/AboutAvahi#Distributions) it seems that avahi
is included in those distributions. Maybe it is a matter of
configuration then.

Regards,
Babis

P.S.: Thank you Rémy for suggesting strace. It is a very helpful command.