[Monetdb-developers] monetdbd takes too long to start

Charalampos Nikolaou charnik at di.uoa.gr
Mon Dec 12 10:37:25 CET 2011

Stefan,

the output is the following:

$ time host 0.0.0.0
Host 0.0.0.0.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

real	0m0.040s
user	0m0.000s
sys	0m0.010s
charnik at nireas:~$ time host 127.0.0.1
1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer localhost.

real	0m0.022s
user	0m0.000s
sys	0m0.010s

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Fabian Groffen <Fabian.Groffen at cwi.nl> wrote:
> On 12-12-2011 00:10:33 +0200, Charalampos Nikolaou wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> just used getnameinfo() instead of gethostbyaddr() in
>> openConnectionTCP() and it doesn't gain any time improvement. In
>> addition, inspecting openConnectionUDP(), I saw that it uses
>> getnameinfo() instead of gethostbyaddr() and it is slow as well. What
>> I found, though, is that the trouble is caused by INADDR_ANY (i.e.,
>> 0.0.0.0). If 127.0.0.1 or a specific, external ip is given, then both
>> getnameinfo() and gethostbyaddr() return instantaneously. After all,
>> is there any point of resolving 0.0.0.0? Anyway, regardless the ip
>> given, I think that resolving should be done in a timely manner, don't
>> you think. Time permitting, I shall further inspect the problem to
>> find out whether it is an issue in glibc or specific to system
>> configuration (of Ubuntu).
>
> Perhaps it's a firewall configuration that doesn't like the broadcast
> interface, and/or broadcasting packets at all.

@Fabian: I have checked it with and without firewall enabled and it
takes the same amount of time.

Regards,
Babis