[Monetdb-developers] monetdbd takes too long to start

Charalampos Nikolaou charnik at di.uoa.gr
Sun Dec 11 23:10:33 CET 2011

Hi,

just used getnameinfo() instead of gethostbyaddr() in
openConnectionTCP() and it doesn't gain any time improvement. In
addition, inspecting openConnectionUDP(), I saw that it uses
getnameinfo() instead of gethostbyaddr() and it is slow as well. What
I found, though, is that the trouble is caused by INADDR_ANY (i.e.,
0.0.0.0). If 127.0.0.1 or a specific, external ip is given, then both
getnameinfo() and gethostbyaddr() return instantaneously. After all,
is there any point of resolving 0.0.0.0? Anyway, regardless the ip
given, I think that resolving should be done in a timely manner, don't
you think. Time permitting, I shall further inspect the problem to
find out whether it is an issue in glibc or specific to system
configuration (of Ubuntu).

Regards,
Babis