[Monetdb-developers] test missing on pkg-config in clients configure

Fabian Groffen Fabian.Groffen at cwi.nl
Sun Oct 10 09:54:56 CEST 2010

On 10-10-2010 09:41:49 +0200, Jan Rittinger wrote:
> that's where my mail started from. Installing pkg-config got the intial strange error message sorted out. I was just wondering that pkg-config itself is not checked by configure (to give a more useful error message).

configure does!  However, you need to be able to generate it properly.
I thought autoconf should/would bail on missing macros, but in any case,
that's beyond our ability to fix.

> As to AM_ICONV—this seems to be not optional as a call to AM_ICONV still resides in the generated configure file...

Which is wrong, but probably causes your interpreter to simply emit some
error about a missing/undefined function, since the macro call has no
arguments.

Proper bootstrapping is hard, maybe we could extend the bootstrap script
to check these requirements and just refuse to work if missing.