[Monetdb-developers] test missing on pkg-config in clients configure

Jan Rittinger jan.rittinger at uni-tuebingen.de
Sun Oct 10 09:41:49 CEST 2010

On Oct 9, 2010, at 23:20, Fabian Groffen wrote:

> On 09-10-2010 14:33:09 +0200, Jan Rittinger wrote:

>>> Did you get errors from bootstrap?  configure should never hold the
>>> m4 macros.
>>
>> No errors with respect to pkg-config:
>>
>> $ ./bootstrap
>> configure.in:166: warning: macro `AM_ICONV' not found in library
>> patching file aclocal.m4
>> Hunk #1 succeeded at 439 (offset -5947 lines).
>> configure.in:166: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_ICONV
>>      If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>>      See the Autoconf documentation.
>>
>> I'm also a little bit puzzled that you ask about m4 as the exact line 'PKG_CHECK_MODULES(monetdbtools, monetdb-stream...' is already in configure.ag.
>
> Please just install pkg-config, and it's m4 macro that comes with it
> (-devel?)
> And also consider isntalling gettext(-devel?), to get the necessary
> AM_ICONV macro.

Fabian,

that's where my mail started from. Installing pkg-config got the intial strange error message sorted out. I was just wondering that pkg-config itself is not checked by configure (to give a more useful error message).

As to AM_ICONV—this seems to be not optional as a call to AM_ICONV still resides in the generated configure file...

--
Jan Rittinger
Lehrstuhl Datenbanken und Informationssysteme

http://www-db.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de/team/rittinger