[Monetdb-developers] mx tool status and future

Stefan Manegold Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Tue Jun 1 10:23:53 CEST 2010

Alex,

there is only one "authorized" Mx tool for MonetDB and that is the one that
is available from the MonetDB repository at
	http://dev.monetdb.org/hg/MonetDB/

We (at least) I am not aware of any Mx tool at savannah.nongnu.org, and I
don't think this is "our" Mx tool --- I cannot even find it there; could you
please point us directly to it?

Apart from that, we use Mx as is and do neither plan to extend nor to
replace it in the near future. The former is not our prime concern, the
latter is hardly possible, as the whole MonetDB code base uses mainly the
macro expansion features of Mx (not only its code documentation features),
and (at least for the time being) we consider it too much work to replace Mx
by some other macro expansion language.

Stefan

ps: Mx (and the complete MonetDB "buildtools") are only required if you
    compile MonetDB using the plain sources from our Mercurial repository;
    all provided tarball contain Mx-generated code and hence don't require
    our buildtools (incl. Mx).
    See also
	http://monetdb.cwi.nl/Download/