[Monetdb-developers] mx tool status and future

Fabian Groffen Fabian.Groffen at cwi.nl
Tue Jun 1 10:16:19 CEST 2010

On 26-05-2010 23:37:34 -0700, Alex Dubov wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I understand, that this issue was probably discussed before, but I couldn't quite find a way to search the list archive.
>
> It appears to me, that mx version 3, found on savannah.nongnu.org, is somewhat out of sync with the one used for monetdb (@mal and @include tags are not supported by it; adding the former was trivial, while I've set the later to no-op, as included *.mx files are nowhere to be found in the monetdb source tree). The mx doc formatter itself is also quite underdeveloped, compared to what we came to expect from systems like doxygen or sphinx.

I can't find mx on savannah.nongnu.org, do you have a direct link?  I'd
say that we don't develop that version, but maybe someone forked an old
version at some time.

> In light of the above, I wonder, are there any plans to switch to a different code documentation system (doxygen?) or is the mx tool intended for future development?

Mx is mainly in use because of its macro expansion IMO.  We're moving
away from putting end-user documentation in the Mx-files.  That said, it
is much more favourable to use plain C-files when Mx macros aren't
strictly necessary IMO.