[Monetdb-developers] MonetDB/XQuery on Ruby with DataMapper

Tinco Andringa mail at tinco.nl
Sun Jan 17 02:38:49 CET 2010

Hey Gabriele, and rest of monetdb-developers,

After a few weeks of inactivity I've resumed work on making datamapper
work with MonetDB/XQuery. At the moment the dataobjects layer is
working, it can construct a simple xquery and retrieve the results and
map them to objects, as demonstrated here: http://pastie.org/781382

I am now working on implementing the other functionality, conditions,
joins, creating, inserting and updating records. My primary goal is to
use the MonetDB/XQuery as if it were a normal tables+rows-oriented
database. (How to really exploit the advantages of XQuery/XML might be
a whole new project.)

This is what the XQuery monetdb adapter looks like now:
http://github.com/d-snp/ruby-monetdb-xquery/blob/do/lib/monetdb_adapter.rb

For comparison, this is what the standard DataObjectsAdapter looks
like (outputting SQL queries):
http://github.com/datamapper/dm-core/blob/master/lib/dm-core/adapters/data_objects_adapter.rb

I have absolutely zero previous experience with XQuery so if you have
any comments or suggestions, XQuery/XQUF snippets or patches they
would be very welcome.

Greetings,
Tinco Andringa