[Monetdb-developers] pf:new-doc

Tinco Andringa mail at tinco.nl
Fri Feb 19 21:46:18 CET 2010

Hello MonetDB developers,

In my quest to develop an object oriented interface to monetdb/xquery
on ruby using datamapper, I've stumbled upon the following problem. It
is at this moment impossible to add a document to monetdb that does
not have a source outside monetdb. The only function to add documents
to monetdb seems to be pf:add-doc, which takes an url parameter with a
location of an xml document it should import. To fully abstract the
database from the ruby application, it would be nice if the developers
could add a new (empty) document to the database.

Would it be a nice idea to have the following function:

pf:new-doc("document_name.xml"[,

It would make users of my api a little happier, and perhaps
MonetDB/XQuery as a whole, a bit more normal ;)

Kind regards,
Tinco Andringa