[Monetdb-developers] VACUUMing MonetDB? (was: MonetDB memory management)

Isidor Zeuner monetdb at quidecco.de
Fri Apr 23 09:28:52 CEST 2010

Many RDBMS pile up stale index structures to a certain extent and
therefore have a cleanup operation ("vacuuming") which should be
invoked regularly in order to maintain best performance. So it
doesn't seem unreasonable if MonetDB also piles up some data
related to already deleted rows.

As I did not find anything related in the documentation, I wonder:

1. Does this actually apply to the MonetDB design?

2. If yes, is there a defined operation to do so (other than
restarting the server, which might do the trick according to some
obzervations).

3. When such a cleanup operation is performed (either through an
on-line feature, or through server restart), are there any tradeoffs
to be considered, like degradation of still useful indexes?

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Isidor

original message follows: