[Monetdb-developers] select data type to store variable length string

kss ram kssram12 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 21:41:32 CEST 2010

Hello,

Thank you everyone for being supportive!

I have a brief query about the data types, according to the documentation
http://monetdb.cwi.nl/SQL/Documentation/Data-Types.html, for storing
string/char type date, we have following options

1.CHAR[ACTER] (L) - character string with length L

2.VARCHAR (L) | CHARACTER VARYING (L) - string with atmost length L
CLOB | CHARACTER LARGE OBJECT
BLOB | BINARY LARGE OBJECT
DECIMAL(P,S) | NUMERIC(P,S)

My question is would CLOB would be the right choice to store variable
length/ dynamic string/char data, varchar(L) is out of the picture as i wont
know the length of the string.

Thank you for your time and help!