[Monetdb-developers] DBSlayer for MonetDB

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Fri May 22 06:33:18 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have set up a development server for OpenStreetMap that allows 'Joe
Regular' to perform /any/ SQL request on a dataset limited to the
borders of The Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourgh. That means around
700MB of data.

Because OpenStreetMap mainly targets webdevelopment, making it
easy-to-use and efficient-to-parse become key issues. Because my
favorite webserver [1] implemented DBSlayer [2] technology for MySQL; I
could plugin an architecture layer to support different databases.
MonetDB is in beta phase, and PostgreSQL is coded. The output is
available in native PHP, Python and Ruby arrays; JSON, and XML-RPC is
coded but not yet in production.

The attached script shows a trivial example how to query a database farm
over the web. Hanging more servers under the webserver, automatically
increases performance and redundancy. I configured the webserver in such
way that a rewrite takes place if no LIMIT was specified.

Because the requests are URIs, every request is logged, what makes it
possible to analyse the performance and benchmark the test set against
new releases. With this platform I am able to plugin my multicolumn
'optimizer' idea, so we all benefit.

To the outside Mapi is available, for accessing it by our mclient or
ODBC client. If our 'native' Ruby/Python MAPI implementations are ready
for testing, I can promote them on the site, or provide a sandbox.

The site itself is still boring; http://xapi.openstreet.nl:8000/

Stefan

[1] http://www.cherokee-project.com/
[2] http://code.nytimes.com/projects/dbslayer