[Monetdb-developers] MonetDB on Darwin/ARM

Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl Stefan.Manegold at cwi.nl
Sun May 3 08:52:00 CEST 2009

MonetDB under Darwin/ARM on an iPod --- would you donate that for our
testing pool/farm? ... ;-)

Anyway, to give any help or make any guesses about what the problem might
be, we'd at least need to know, how exactly you managed to cross-compile
MonetDB for that system:
- host/build systems used
- cross-compiler used
- libraries used for cross-compiling on host/build systems
- libraries available on target system (iPod)
- exact configure call (incl. related settings of environment variables)
- any source code changes applied?
- console output and config.log of configure
- console output of make

Further, I assume that the default dbfarm (cf., monetdb5.conf --- from the
welcome message I guess it might be
"/Applications/MonetDB.app/var/MonetDB5/dbfarm") exists, or at least your
mserver5 is allowed to create it in that location ...
If not, you might what to specify a different "usable" dbfarm in your
monetdb5.conf or using --dbfarm= on the mserver5 command line.

I also assume that all libraries used during cross-compilation are also
available on the iPod, and in a location the MonetDB and/or the system
loaded know where to find them; otherwise, you might need to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and/or DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH accordingly.

(Note:
With MonetDB4 configuring with "--disable-shared --enable-static" means
that MonetDB modules a statically linked into the server as opposed to
dynamically loaded at runtime; system libraries are never linked
statically.
With MonetDB5, configure options "--disable-shared --enable-static" should
have no effect, i.e., MonetDB5 does no longer / not yet (?) support static
linking of MonetDB modules into the server.
)

Stefan