[Monetdb-developers] Connection fails

Fabian Groffen Fabian.Groffen at cwi.nl
Mon Jul 27 14:34:56 CEST 2009

On 27-07-2009 14:11:13 +0200, Riham Abdel Kader wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have lately re-installed the Jun2008 release of MonetDB/XQuery. I can
> start Mserver successfully and connect to it with mclient to execute
> XQueries.
>
> When I try to connect to it using a MapiSocket from my java program, I
> get the following error:  "java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused".
> I also tried:
> > telnet localhost 50000
> and I get:
> Trying ::1...
> telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
>
> Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Yeah, seems your system is defaulting to IPv6 (SuSE by chance?), which
Mserver isn't supporting.  Instead you have to connect using the IPv4
stack (to the IPv4 interface).  You can do so by using the IPv4 address
of localhost: 127.0.0.1.

Blame your distribution for not having the dual stack being properly
used.