[Monetdb-developers] slow query log

Martin Kersten Martin.Kersten at cwi.nl
Tue Oct 21 09:50:41 CEST 2008

Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Is there currently a syntax to log every incoming SQL query to a file?
>
> I found options like:
> 1) ODBCDEBUG [1]
> 2) mapi_log(...) [2]

mclient links into the Linux history mechanism and logfile may help

> But is there something easy to capture all incoming query with their
> timings; so a real slow queries log can be created?

If you run from an application, then it is easy to keep the log there.
It includes valuable information about connections too.

> In the Skyserver presentation [3] I see 'Query log' analysis; I'm really
> interested in how this is realised. I would like to do an analysis on

That was an analysis based on the query log maintained in MS SQL-server
designed specifically for that application.
> all queries Mapserver generates by its GDAL/OGR layer, since I have
> implemented this interface using ODBC (yes, I was too lazy to implement
> a native connector) some logging would be possible, but not
> concurrently, hence the file would be overwritten.
>

> If nothing is in place, I'm happy to give it a try and implement it.

Current vision is that query logging is highly application specific and
would lead
to  several knobs when put in place in the kernel. You can either keep
the log
outside the kernel, or sent the log record you want to retain to a table
or even another site.