[Monetdb-developers] [Monetdb-checkins] MonetDB5/conf monetdb5.conf.in, , 1.34, 1.35

Fabian Groffen Fabian.Groffen at cwi.nl
Sun Oct 12 14:14:17 CEST 2008

On 12-10-2008 13:48:14 +0200, Martin Kersten wrote:
> >> -mero_msglog=@localstatedir@@DIRSEP at log@DIRSEP at merovingian.log
> >> -mero_errlog=@localstatedir@@DIRSEP at log@DIRSEP at merovingian.log
> >> +mero_msglog=@localstatedir@@DIRSEP at MonetDB5@DIRSEP at merovingian.log
> >> +mero_errlog=@localstatedir@@DIRSEP at MonetDB5@DIRSEP at merovingian.log
> >
> > May I suggest to leave in "log" in here.  Traditionally, logfiles are
> > stored in /var/log.  No real need to deviate from that, I think?
> > /var/log/MonetDB5 would be ok, I guess.
> >
> that calls for creating it upon first use, like mserver5.
> a makedir inbetween does not seem a big problem,
> despite the fact that is already identifiable as log
> already from its name.

afaict it worked out of the box, I'm only concerned with logs not being
in the location one would expect

> >> -mero_pidfile=@localstatedir@@DIRSEP at run@DIRSEP at merovingian.pid
> >> +mero_pidfile=@localstatedir@@DIRSEP at MonetDB5@DIRSEP at merovingian.pid
> >
> > Pidfiles are traditionally stored in /var/run.  I think this is not a
> > good idea.
> >
> this then depends on the platforms for which 'traditionally' applies.
> Recall that all gdk_lock files for databases are held there where protection
> is called for.

a pid-file is not a lock, maybe there is some confusion here?  The
pid-file is only there for start-stop-daemon and alike programs that
like to stop merovingian without doing a
`ps ax | grep '[m]erovingian' | cut -c1-7 | xargs kill`
or something else that gives little control to what should actually be
killed.